Re: [tlug] Pre-installed linux?

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 13
> Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 01:16:15 +0900
> From: "Lyle H Saxon" <llletters@??>
> Subject: Re: [tlug] Pre-installed linux?
> To: "Tokyo Linux Users Group" <tlug@??>
>
> On 2/11/07, Godwin Stewart <godwin.stewart@??> wrote:

> > On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 13:45:24 +0900, "Lyle H Saxon"
> > > If you spend around Y15,000, you can get P-IV's running at around
> > > 2GHz, some with USB 2.0.
> >
> > Are these kinds of prices specific to the Japanese market? I ask
> > because 15,000 Yen, that's under 100 euros and I wouldn't
> expect to see
> > a used P-IV, any clock frequency, at less than 3 times that
> price, if at
> > all. People tend to hang onto computer equipment longer around here.
> > One of my clients, for example, is still using a 10 year-old machine
> > with Windows 95 on it, while many places are still using
> Win98 or, at a
> > pinch, Win2K.
>
> They might be peculiar to the Japanese market - I was recently talking
> with a man from Holland who was in Tokyo for a few days, and he was
> telling me that hardware prices for just about everything - including
> prices of new external hard drives - were much higher in Holland than
> in Tokyo.

I think that computer prices are lowest in the US, then second
lowest in Japan, if you are buying new.  Used, I think it varies.
For some things prices are better stateside, for others prices are
better here in Japan.  The Japanese people like new. :)

> Windows 95?  I recently met an individual using W-98 with broadband at
> home - they were suitably ashamed of their old system and I was
> horrified at the concept of W-98 sitting naked on a home broadband
> line.  They said their computer is extremely slow and not working well
> - no surprise!
>
> Lyle

I would convince them to turn their 98 box into a linux box. :P
Software is now to the point that they wouldn't lose much in the way of
software support, even if they did depend on a bunch of windows things.
In fact, for a ten  year old machine, something using a light windows
manager, similar to the one that xubuntu uses, might actually be a
major upgrade for them in performance. ^_^

On the subject of used computer parts, How good are celerons and durons
for running linux?  If you are not using the machine for video games, how
effective are the "low end" processors?  I have never been able to bring
myself to buy one, but I am thinking of building a new box soon, and I
mainly have the goals of cheap, linux compatible, and able to get online
and compile c++ code. :P  I intend the machine to be 100% GNU/Linux, no
Windows.  I may or may not install wine.

^_^