Re: [tlug] Linux, Solaris & AIX

Jason Hall wrote:
I've been noticing a few job postings that ask for Solaris or AIX experience.
I've never used either one. Since I'm looking for a new job, I've been talking
to a couple recruiters and they don't seem to know the difference.
That's why they are recruiters not admins. ;)
How similar would Solaris and AIX be to linux? Is it feasible to get a Unix job
using Solaris with Linux experience?
I went from Windows 4 years->Linux 2 years ->Solaris

It wasn't always easy but I believe if you are a competent Linux admin the switch would not be so difficult, heck I did it. The major areas that I find different are initial install and configuration can be a bit more tedious, (no hate mail please) and some of the commands, their switches and file locations are a bit different.
Like this:
ps -ax is what I use in Linux
ps -ax doesn't give you anything in solaris .... but ps -ef gives you everything you could want.

/etc/fstab in Linux
/etc/vfstab in solaris

or  network  interfaces

/etc/network/interfaces Debian/Ubuntu
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 Red Hat variants
/etc/hostname.iprb0 in Solaris

There is nothing that anybody who wanted to can not figure out.

Just as a word of advice. Set your self up a Solaris 10 box and see what it takes to get comfortable with it.

Regards,

Erin