Re: [tlug] Re: Stand Up for OpenOffice!!

Stephen,
I'm afraid that pretty much everybody who has reported their
satisfaction with OOo so far is running equipment well beyond the
reach of most of my students.

If it helps, my girlfriend bought her laptop used for 10,000 - 15,000 yen. I'm not sure exactly what the specs are - Pentium of some kind - but surely that's a student level purchase.

And she's fine with OOo. In fact, she didn't notice (more accurately, didn't care enough) that it wasn't MS Word. All of the functions she uses are pretty much in the same place in both programs, and it performs at least as well.

One thing I'm not really following in your postings where you are expressing that OOo is too slow for student level machines, is the idea that MS Office would be faster on an older machine. The latest MS Office can be just as big a resource hog as anything else.

ï--
Dave M G
Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy Eft
Kernel 2.6.17.7