Re: [tlug] Re: Stand Up for OpenOffice!!

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 00:25:33 +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:

I'm afraid that pretty much everybody who has reported their
satisfaction with OOo so far is running equipment well beyond the
reach of most of my students.

How's this for a student machine. IBM Think Pad S30i P3 600 256MB RAM.

Under Gnome OOo2 Writer launched a blank doc in 32 seconds the first time and 13 the second.

Under IceWM OOo2 Writer launched a blank doc in 19 seconds the first time and 11 the second.

I picked this machine up for 30,000yen on Yahoo Auctions.

I dare say it's below the average spec for what most students have nowdays but's good enought for me.
(Compact & about 6 hours battery life)

The official OOo2 system requirements:
http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/source/sys_reqs_20.html

Someone mentioned something about not being able to find docs about macros for OOo try here:
http://www.pitonyak.org/oo.php

Just for comparason the same Think Pad:

Under WinXP MS Word 2003 launched a blank doc in 11 seconds the first time and 5 the second.

Under WinXP OOo2 Writer launched a blank doc in 26 seconds the first time and 9 the second.

Are students willing to spend money to gain slightly increased opening speed?

I agree that OOo on the mac is painfully slow. Our mac at work is testantment to that. However to it would appear that performance on other platforms is reaching acceptablity making OOo quite suitable for student use.

Greg Thomson