Re: [tlug] Stand Up for OpenOffice!!

On 29 janv. 07, at 20:35, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

Guillaume Proux writes:

Nowadays, there is a wonderful web search service called google...

Sure, C-c w g.

However, I'm interested in where Jean-Christophe gets *his*
information, as well as the information itself.  I don't believe
everything I read on the Web, and I'm not in a position to evaluate
the reliability of materials in French or about France.

I get most of my info on the OOo lists :) The French community happens to be quite active. And I am mostly a lurker there who sometimes helps with localization.
I think there were articles in Le Monde about that, but I've just asked about better reference on the lists so I'll be able to give you more links with better sources.

Well, the point being that there are already quite a few places that have already decided to move to the only ISO/ODF fully supporting application. OOo is good enough for most user needs even if it is not perfect. And as I wrote earlier, in linguistic settings that do not require X11 specific input methods it is quite straightforward to use. There are plenty of companies in France that offer technical support for the suite too. I think a lot of places that are required to adopt ISO practices will have to move to ODF and thus to OOo in the middle term. ODF is still young as an ISO standard (March) but that is what will bring OOo (and derivatives) on the desktops of a lot of organizations.

Jean-Christophe