Re: [tlug] Stand Up for OpenOffice!!

On 29 janv. 07, at 15:15, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

but I just can't see when it will ever truly become a realistic
option on a broad scale.

I'm nowhere near that pessimistic; my point is that realistically *right now* it's a non-option on a broad scale, at least if my experience is representative of its probable behavior in my environment. Leaving that aside, what are the prospects for the future?

(1) Governments, especially local/regional governments in the U.S. and
Europe, know that an open document format is feasible, and that Open
Document Format is a feasible candidate.  They want this badly.
Others, especially those in so-called emerging markets (is Brazil
Gentoo Country? ;-), want cheaper, monopoly-free alternatives.
Equally badly.  [oops, that probably deserved a C&C warning.  and so
it goes.]

A great number of French administrations have already moved to OOo. There must be about half a million machines that are already officially equipped with OOo. And the number keeps growing.

Jean-Christophe Helary