[tlug] question about shell scripting

Hi everyone,

I am still a newbie to bash shell scripting and have a very quick
question. I would like to perform a command recursively- for example I
would like to list all of the crotabs for all of the users in the system.
So first I get a list of users:

   awk -F: '{ print $1 }' /etc/shadow

which is OK. However if I want to use backticks and do something like this:

   crontab -l -u `awk -F: '{ print $1 }' /etc/shadow`

it crashes. I'm guessing that the output of that awk is a stream instead
of a list of individual names with a line break. I thought maybe I could
write a for statement in a script this way:

   #!/bin/bash
   for x in `awk -F: '{ print $1 }' /etc/shadow`;
   /usr/bin/crontab -l -u $x;
   done

but that crashes as well.  I'm pretty sure I could do this in PERL using
an array and then a foreach $line (@), but I'd like to do this in bash,
just to learn more about bash scripting.

Any hints how can I get each iteration of this "for" command to separately
input the usernames into the crontab command, wait for stdout, then
iterate again using a bash script?

Study study,
Scott VanDusen
Tokyo