Re: [tlug] Networking two Linux computers harder than Linux to Windows?

> But now that my girlfriend's laptop is Ubuntu... I can't find it now
> matter how I look for it. I've tried connecting by FTP, SSH... I looked
> up on the web and there's all this talk about setting up DHCP servers or
> sshfs...

Hi,

With all networking problems, you have to work your way up the OSI model.
Start by physical link layer, make sure the lights are on (check the back
of your computer, look at the NIC itself). Then insure you are connecting
via switching hub if you are not using a cross cable to connect these
machines directly. After that you can check the interface status on the
linux boxes by doing:

sudo ifconfig

from command prompt, make a note of the IP addresses and subnet masks. If
the masks are different they might not be able to find each other. Then
check the routing table on both the machines- if there is not a default
routing gateway add it by doing:

route add default gw xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

and put the IP address of the default gateway in the xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx part-
here you can put the IP of the machine you are trying to ping. Finally,
you can check if the firewall (probably IP tables) is on- do:

 iptables -L -v

and see the rules to see if you are dropping access. Then if that is the
case do:

 iptables -F

to flush the rules - then try to ping.

It seems like a lot of work at first but really even getting two XP
machines to talk sometimes can be a pain.

Cheers,
Scott VanDusen
still in Tokyo :-(