Re: Bourne Shell is the most appropriate scripting language (was Re: [tlug] What is the most appropriate scripting language)

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 10:53:55 +0100
> From: Botond Botyanszki <tlug@example.com>
> Subject: Re: Bourne Shell is the most appropriate scripting language
> 	(was	Re: [tlug] What is the most appropriate
> scripting language)
> To: tlug@example.com
>
> On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 10:11:04 +0900
> "Josh Glover" <jmglov@example.com> wrote:

<Snip>
> Same here, in theory this is how you do it. But when it comes
> to reality,
> you will only realize that your script doesn't run on some unix flavor
> when you actually test it on that platform. If you can really do this
> "write once, run everywhere", I'll bow before you. ;)
> With perl this statement stands.

Perl is VERY portable if written propperly.  If you use relative paths, most code is even compatible between Windows and *nix systems.  There are of course exceptions... Which is where your statement comes in.  ^^;;

Especially in the area of GUI programming in perl.

> Now lets talk about which editor is better, emacs or vi ;-)
Be careful. :P  I am neutral in that war, but many here are not. ^_^