Re: [tlug] Halfway between Dapper and Edgy

Burlingk,

Thanks for responding.
Edgy isn't ever expected to be 100% stable.
Not to be too snarky, but the first line, right on their web site, says: "Ubuntu 6.10 is the current *stable* version of the Ubuntu operating system". With 18 months of support, no less.

I don't think I'm nuts for thinking that when they say it's their stable version that it should be stable enough to at least install.

Anyhow...

Unfortunately, I can't execute any of the commands in the "NOT RECOMMENDED" section because any time I execute apt-get *at all*, it gives me the "unmet dependencies" error. Whether I try to remove, install, or fix packages, it says there are dependencies that can't be resolved.

And I tried removing the packages one by one, but it doesn't seem like I can do that. It worked for a couple of things, like some KDE apps and MythTV, but then after that I got bogged down into a loop I can't escape.

This is because when I try to uninstall, for example, openoffice.org-l10n-en-gb, it says it can't be removed because language-support-en depends on it. But when I try to remove language-support-en, it says openoffice.org-l10n-en-gb depends on that. So I can't break out of the cycle.

So unless there's some global way of stomping out these packages altogether, or I can force their removal despite dependencies, I'm looking at a fresh install.

Pardon me for a moment of catharsis:

AAAARGH!

Okay... so... do I have any other options here?

Oh, by the way, I also tried dselect. Returned an error saying it could not configure or install any packages. I assume it's caught in the same loops that apt-get and dpkg are.

--
Dave M G
Community Moderator