Re: Unicode support in classic Unix programs including Python. . . . . . . . . (was: Re: Learn a Variety of Languages) [tlug]

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007, Jim wrote:

That aside, I do a lot of Japanese web sites, and use Ruby extensively
for them, and haven't had much in the way of issues.

Nor will you with only one language to support. It's when you mix languages, especially CJK languages, that things become "interesting".

Actually, I've done I18N Japanese/Chinese/French/English as well, and not had problems. But this was not aimed at people who expected both Japanese and Chinese to be displayed fully correctly. So this test:

At least you can specify which parts are in which language with HTML.
Does your browser pass the test?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Han_unification#Check_your_browser

my browser fails, but no big deal.

In fact, it's probably better, when displaying Chinese to Japanese
people who don't know Chinese, always to display the Japansese version
of the kanji, since they might not recognise the Chinese version, though
with the Japanese version they can at least get some limited sense of
the meaning.

Though really, that's probably reaching a bit. But at least it does
little harm in the practical world, when you're trying to make an
EBay-style site or something like that.

cjs