Unicode support in classic Unix programs including Python. . . . . . . . . (was: Re: Learn a Variety of Languages) [tlug]

Curt Sampson wrote:

> I have this recollection that Python has--or at least
> had--better Unicode support.

With UTF-8, designed by UNIX guru Ken Thompson,
Unicode (in UTF-8) plays well with most Unix/Linux software.
That should include Python.

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTF-8

Regexes _do_ become "interesting" in Unicode.

If Python has an advantage over other programming languages
regarding CJK, I would expect that advantage to be related to
regexes and/or sorting.

> That aside, I do a lot of Japanese web sites, and use Ruby extensively
> for them, and haven't had much in the way of issues.

Nor will you with only one language to support. It's when you mix
languages, especially CJK languages, that things become "interesting".
At least you can specify which parts are in which language with HTML.
Does your browser pass the test?

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Han_unification#Check_your_browser