Re: [tlug] What is the most appropriate scripting language

Hi Dave

> If I were working on that *other* operating system,
> I would accomplish
> the following task with a .bat file.
>
> However, on Linux, I'm not sure which scripting
> language I should be
> using. It seems there are so many, and I'm not sure
> what the difference is.
>
> What I want to do is create a script that will:
>
> 1. Append some information to the top of some text
> files. Mainly a
> timestamp.
Do a shell (not sure which one that you want)
 here is a simple csh script

setenv DDD "aaa bbb"
 foreach ff($DDD)
 echo $ff
   #DO YOUR TIMESTAMP with temp files
   # echo $TIMESTAMP > AAA
   #  cat $AAA $YOUR_FILE > aaa

 end

  end

> 2. Bundle all the files into a tar file.
 tar -cvzf your_tarfile.tgz $DDD

> 3. Upload the files to a number of different FTP
> sites.
Look at
http://www.mcwalter.org/technology/shell/ftp.html

> 4. If possible: email the tar file to one or more
> email addresses.
 CSH
 uuencode &  mail ?

best regards