Re: [tlug] What is the most appropriate scripting language

On 1/15/07, Dave M G <martin@example.com> wrote:
TLUG,

If I were working on that *other* operating system, I would accomplish
the following task with a .bat file.

However, on Linux, I'm not sure which scripting language I should be
using. It seems there are so many, and I'm not sure what the difference is.
(...)
What would be the appropriate scripting language, and might there be a
resource which would help a newbie like me set up the above tasks?

Hi Dave,

I'd go the Ruby way, it's available on lots of platforms and is
really, really neat.

Some starting points :

http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/
http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/documentation/quickstart/

It's worth it, not only for you sysadmin scripting tasks.

Best regards,

--
John Mettraux   -///-   http://jmettraux.openwfe.org