Re: [tlug] What is the most appropriate scripting language

What I want to do is create a script that will:

1. Append some information to the top of some text files. Mainly a
timestamp.

2. Bundle all the files into a tar file.

3. Upload the files to a number of different FTP sites.

4. If possible: email the tar file to one or more email addresses.

Hello,

I use bash to achieve similar goals as the ones you have stated above.
If you want a good resource to help you learn a bit more about bash
check out Advanced Bash-Scripting Guide[1].  Don't let the title scare
you. If you can write a .bat file then you *should* be able to follow
this guide.

For number four above I use metasend to send attachments.

Regards, Keith
[1] http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/