Re: [tlug] LAN card install

> In a previous post you said: "2) ? configure how.  I deleted all
> hardware and device entries and rebooted and the following is what was
> detected."
>
> I'm not entirely sure what you have done here... When installing new
> hardware I have never started of by deleting things, so you may need
> to provide details of what you have done here in order for us to help
> out.

This is what I observed and was the reason for me deleting.

from linux.dell.com/files/whitepapers/nic-enum-whitepaper-v2.pdf

"Changes in system configuration will also result in a different
enumeration order. If a new network card is
inserted into a PCI slot, its new position could be between two previous
network devices. This may result in
the new card taking over the name of a previous card in the system.
The root cause of NIC enumeration mismatches is that there is currently
no industry standard to enable the
OS to determine the physical labeling of Ethernet ports on the
motherboard."

I am not a sysadmin (obviously) and was surprised at what I saw thinking
it could not be that way, still things did not match up.  Now I think I
was if fact seeing straight when I had 3 nics on board and the system
appeared to be confused about which was which.

Shawn