Re: [tlug] LAN card install

On 12/16/06, Shawn <javajunkie@example.com> wrote:
> got a corega cg-lapcitx lan card with "Linux" written on the box.

> How do I set it up?
>
> 1) put it in
> 2) ? configure how.

the motherboard manual says assign an irq
I see where I can do that but under network-config gui but...
it should a numerical value.

I can't see from the table in the motherboard doc which one it should
be.  Am not familiar with IRQ numbers other than to avoid a conflict.

The doc has a * near some that "are usually available for PCI devices".

for example Communications Port(Com1)*

since I am not using a modem I wonder about just assigning that.
Does it matter if it is one with a low priority?

Any suggestions?

Now days you should generally not need to manually play with IRQs.
From previous posts it would appear that the card is installed an may
be working.

You need to configure it now, as per my previous posts:

1. Try          ifconfig eth0      on the command line.
2. If all "looks" ok from step one (if not post the output of ifconfig
eth0 here). Return to the gui network configuration app and see what
you can do from there.

Now may also be a good time to google for something like "fedora
network configuration".

This *may* help: http://www.reallylinux.com/docs/basicconfig.shtml

You may find it quicker to use ifconfig to do a basic setup of the
card and then try to ping something on your local network.

Regards, Keith