Re: [tlug] Email address munging in the TLUG archives (C&C)

Edward Middleton writes:

 > Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

 > > Gmane claims to consult with the managers of the lists it proxies, but
 > > in practice it makes no effort to check whether people claiming to
 > > represent the list have the authority to do so.
 >
 > This who line of argument that everyone else does a poor job so we
 > should follow suit is completely wrong.  This is TLUG.

If by doing a bad job, they can destroy the effect of our good work,
that is an argument against wasted effort.  That's all I want to point
out.

If TLUG decides to make a best-effort attempt to keep addresses from
leaking, I'll go along with it, of course.  I just think it's ugly and
ineffective in the medium-to-long term.

 > Your proposed solution of posting from a hotmail address is a very bad
 > idea, because it makes it impossible for anyone including the list
 > master to tell who is the actual poster.

Hey, nothing posted under my name was posted by a human.  I a cat (not
to be confused with ayakat).  (The fat bearded balding guy is a waldo.)

 > Which Stephen.J.Turnbull_1@example.com,
 > Stephen.J.Turnbull_2@example.com ..
 > Stephen.J.Turnbull_n@example.com is the real Stephen Turnbull

stephen@example.com is, and so is turnbull@example.com, although
I'd prefer to be known by the former on this list.  I want my address
to be known; I'll deal with the consequences.  I don't want people to
have to jump through hoops to get in touch with me (which is why I
oppose Reply-To munging, too).  I want "one-keystroke replies".

If you want to be known as "Addressee Unknown", I can't really blame
you.  But please don't deny me the honor of standing up for Truth,
Justice, and the RFC Way.

 > Not showing the email address to all list members doesn't protect you
 > from the consequences of your posts, the list master has the list of all
 > email addresses.  If something inappropriate is posted to the list there
 > is clearly a method of recourse, i.e. the list master warns the user or
 > in the case of spammers removes the account.

And they just sign up for another one.  Abuse by members is not
preventable without moderation.