Re: [tlug] Email address munging in the TLUG archives

On Tue, 5 Dec 2006 02:05:22 +0900 (JST), Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com>
wrote:

> It's a continuum: it's not that they don't care at all, it's mostly
> that the particular combination of knowledge about the problem and
> time to work on it tends to make them go after other malefactors. At
> this point in time, it often help from those outside of law
> enforcement to do the research and indicate the extent of the problem.

How many times were law enforcement and UUNet given evidence that
send-safe, the only purpose of which is to send bulk mail through
compromised open proxies - ie: to break U-CAN-SPAM - was being sold by
criminals (a Russian, Ruslan Ibragimov) hosting the vendor site on
UUNet?

What did UUNet do to get rid of the criminal activity on their network?

It took them several years to react, but now send-safe.com is gone from
UUNet. It's now hosted nobody knows where, with infected machines
acting as proxies to the real mothership and further infected machines
acting as nameservers for the domain.

For all I know send-safe.com is still on UUNet (now Verizon Business).

> They don't, but Russian spammers are not really the source of the
> problem. A great number (probably even a majority) of spammers are
> American, and simply using overseas resources.

Have you seen the top-10 ROKSO spammer roll-call?

2 American, 4 Russian, 2 Ukrainian, 1 Israeli and 1 Hong-Kong outfit.

2 out of the world's 10 worst spammers are American-based outfits.

http://www.spamhaus.org/statistics/spammers.lasso

> If you stop the guys that are paying the Russian to send spam, the
> Russian will stop spamming. He's there only for the money; nothing
> else.

I'm sure people like Chris Rizler and "Weaselboy" McRae will confirm
that theory. While spammers may well send out spam for "etikul
bidnissez", they most certainly spam on their own accounts as well. You
don't think that a spammer touting cheap drugs and fake diplomas
actually *has* any produce to sell, do you?

--
G. Stewart - godwin.stewart@example.com

Sign spotted on a repair shop door:
WE CAN REPAIR ANYTHING.
(PLEASE KNOCK HARD ON THE DOOR - THE BELL DOESN'T WORK)