Re: [tlug] Advice on buying a Macbook

One-third of the clients I administer are Macs, and the difference between Mactel and PPC (Piss-Poor Chip) could not be greater.

One of the reasons that I have not been messing with desktop Linux much these days is that I can't pull myself away from the Mactel in my office. I am neglecting Windows, too, which is still running because it has Ghost and an IDE that I need. Other than that, the Mactel rules... hands down.

I bought our Macbooks through Apple online store Educational discount, and the resulting prices were almost as cheap as Dell. I would highly recommend that you get the extended warranty, though. The default warranty is one year. The extension covers up to three years. Or buy it from a merchant that offers a five-year warranty, but do read the fine print. I once got a five-year extension from Best Denki, only to read the fine print (constipated and no other reading material) to find that the "five years" really means 100% of all repair costs in the first year (which is covered by the manufacturer, anyway), then 80% in the second year, 60% in the third, and so on. Do the math, and it is a rip-off. They wouldn't offer those warranties if they didn't make money off of them.

As a side note, our Admissions department just bought a Mactel iMac with 2GB of memory, so I installed Parallels virtualization software trial version on it. I then installed WindowsXP and Ubuntu, and I must be honest... they ran faster than on the new Dell Optiplex clients. It was WONDERFUL. You must try it out. Parallels is very easy to understand, elegant, and straightforward.

I would love to be able to do virtualization as easily on the RHEL servers.

Micheal