Re: [tlug] CJK Printing from Web Browsers in Debian 3.3.2

Josh Glover wrote:
[...] : Step 1a; MOZILLA_PREFS=`find .mozilla/ -type f -name
\*prefs.js | sed -e '/firefox/d' -e '/thunderbird/d'` : Step 1b;
FIREFOX_PREFS=`find .mozilla/firefox/ -type f -name \*prefs.js`
>: Step 1c; THUNDERBIRD_PREFS=`find .mozilla/thunderbird/ -type f -name
\*prefs.js`

: Step 2a; for i in "${FIREFOX_PREFS}" "${THUNDERBIRD_PREFS}"; do
cp "$i" "$i.BAK"
> cp "${MOZILLA_PREFS}" "$i"
> done

Now fire up Firefox and Thunderbird and test your printing.

I oh-so-very-cleverly recovered the Thunderbird I thought I'd lost in doing the above by removing the "~" from a "prefs.js~" file.

Anyway, I can think of two possible reasons for the loss of an immediately
usable Thunderbird when I did the above. First, since I had not set up Mozilla
Mail to get mail at all, Thunderbird ended up with no useful prefs. This seems
to me the more likely possibility.

Step 2a looks like something that has to be input as a block to be understood
by the processor, so I copied the first three lines, from "for ..." out of the text file
where I had stored them, to read when I shut Thunderbird down, into the shell.
I was taken aback when the second and third lines began with an un-erasable ">."
But I "Entered" them, and belatedly added "done."

I don't think that hurt Thunderbird, but maybe adding "done" too late resulted in
the desired changes not being made to Firefox. I'm guessing that the uninitialized
"i" in the step labels lines one at a time, producing a back-up and and a transfer
from Mozilla's prefs.js to the other two's, although it isn't obvious to me that
there would be the seemingly necessary one-to-one correspondence. In fact,
in Firefox, prefs.js.BAK is 6.2KB, while the new prefs.js is only 5.4. (I think
I'll combine and sort them to see what isn't duplicated in the smaller file, which
seems to work just fine aside from not printing CJK, before I replace it with the
larger one.)

It looks to me like the intended changes probably *were* made, yet Firefox still
prints squares while Mozilla Browser, using Mozilla Suite's one-and-only 5.2KB
prefs.js, prints kokuji just fine.

*Now* shall we give up?
Bart Mathias