Re: [tlug] CJK Printing from Web Browsers in Debian 3.3.2

Bart Mathias writes:

 > That gets me weird stuff too:

Your user doesn't have permission to read/cd to those directories.
find is telling you so, just in case you really need to look in them
and can acquire the privileges needed to do so.  You presumably can
shut that up by redirecting stderr:

                find /etc -name fonts.conf 2>/dev/null

(You don't need to do this unless you're curious about error messages
and shell tricks; as you've probably guessed by now, you're hardly
likely to find anything of interest in those directories.)

 > X.font          afms         fonts.cache-1  groff.font  truetype
 > urw-urw.font adobe-urw.font  debian.font  fonts.dir      tex.font
 > type1 for the former.  Everything with "font" in its name is a file; the
 > other three are directories.

Looks fine to me.  I doubt this is related to the problem.

 > I'm not totally sure what/where the X11 directories are.  I tried
 > # ls /etc/X11 | grep fonts.cache
 > and got nothing.  But
 > # ls /etc/X11 | grep font

Some modern distros consider the fonts and other X11 data to be part
of the system configuration and put them in /etc so they'll be
protected from distro screwage if *you* mess with them directly.  (I
think this is sheer idiocy; that's what /usr/local and friends are
for.)

In these distros, many directories under /usr/X11R6/lib and/or
/usr/lib/X11 end up being symlinks into /etc/X11/...

 > Am I on the right track?

You seem to have everything in the right place, and since "fc-match
sans" not only resolves to a font but actually resolves to a sane
font (in fact, it's the one I'm looking at right now :-), I have to
say your system is fine, Mozilla is sick.[1]

Maybe Josh can help....  :-)

Footnotes:
[1]  My personal opinion is that Mozilla is a pretty disgusting
creation of kakusa-shakai.  There are the users and the hackers, and
the users should leave anything harder than clicking on a checkbox to
the hackers....  Even about:config no longer tells you much of
interest.