Re: [tlug] CJK Printing from Web Browsers in Debian 3.3.2

On 03/11/06, Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com> wrote:

On 03/11/06, Bart Mathias <mathias@example.com> wrote:

> Josh Glover wrote:
>
> > Please verify these assumptions:
> >
> > 1. You can print Japanese from Mozilla.
> > 2. You can print Japanese from Firefox.
> > 3. You *cannot* print Japanese from Thunderbird.
> >
> > If these are all true, I can easily tell you how to fix (3). :)
>
> Shucks.  Only 1 and 3 are true.

All is not lost, mate. Follow these steps, and you should be right as rain:

1. Find your preferences files for:
a. Mozilla
b. Firefox
c. Thunderbird

Damn you Gmail and your premature send! ;) As I was saying:

0. *** Quit Mozilla, Firefox, and Thunderbird! ***

1. Find your preferences files for:
a. Mozilla
b. Firefox
c. Thunderbird

find .mozilla/ -type f -name \*prefs.js

2. Comment out all existing printer-specific settings in your Firefox
and Thunderbird prefs files:

sed -i.bak -e 's|^\(.\+intl.\+\)$|// \1|' <FirefoxPrefsFileFromStep1>
sed -i.bak -e 's|^\(.\+intl.\+\)$|// \1|' <ThunderbirdPrefsFileFromStep1>

3. Add the printer-specific settings from your Mozilla prefs file to
your Firefox and Thunderbird prefs files:

grep -i print <MozillaPrefsFileFromStep1> | tee -a <FirefoxPrefsFileFromStep1>
grep -i print <MozillaPrefsFileFromStep1> | tee -a
<ThunderbirdPrefsFileFromStep1>

That should be all there is to it. If that does not work, or Firefox
or Thunderbird spews error messages (hint: run them from the
command-line so that debugging and error messages get printed to the
terminal), examine the differences between the junk that is commented
out and the junk that you added to the end of each prefs file.

BTW, the kprinter trick will only work if you use KDE (or have it
installed) and KDE apps print Japanese correctly. Otherwise, just use
plain ol' lpr.

-Josh