RE: [tlug] Linux

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 13:48:13 +0900
> From: Henri Honda <hank@example.com>
> Subject: [tlug] Linux
> To: TLUG Japan <tlug@example.com>
<Snip>
> 2) Can a hard modem made in the US be used on the Japanese
> teleco system??
> Are any changes or mods required in the hard modem??
>
> If anyone can help, sure would be appreciated!
>
> Thank you y'all and have a great day!!

I don't THINK there should be any differences.  I could be wrong.  As far as I know though, the basic hardware is the same.  Also, for the modem you are using, the website for the driver or wrapper may have some information on performance issues.  WinModems are a nasty issue at times.

Also, this may sound odd, but depending on your location some broadband solutions may cost less than dialup.  That of course is assuming that it is available.  99% of Linux distributions support about 99% of wired ethernet cards. :-)

Yahoo's usual price starts somewhere around 4000 Yen if you already have a phone line, and goes up from there.  I am not 100% familiar with all the dialup providers in the region, but  my girlfriend was using a cellular modem of some sort for a while.  It was slow, and unstable.  Once she upgraded to low end broad band, it was a LOT faster.