[tlug] Linux

Hello, out there!

I'm a newcomer to Linux and have a couple of questions I want to ask and if
anyone can help will be greatly appreciated!  Thank you!!

1) I use dialup to connect to the internet.  I have a 56K softmodem and when
using Win98, I can download at 4.0 bps but when I use Linux the download
speed drops to 1.6 bps.  Is there any way to increase the download speed??

2) Can a hard modem made in the US be used on the Japanese teleco system??
Are any changes or mods required in the hard modem??

If anyone can help, sure would be appreciated!

Thank you y'all and have a great day!!

Cheers!
--
Hank