Re: Multimedia Distros _out_of_the_box_ [tlug]

On 09/11/06, Jim <jep200404@example.com> wrote:

Josh Glover wrote:

> I guess for Gentooists, "out of the box" has a slightly different meaning. :)

Yup, and if one compiles code that one did not previously compile,
then one is compiling, but not _re_compiling. Mr. Cook wrote:

> ... without having to recompile things ...

One could argue that compiling (without _re_compiling) would be
acceptable to Mr. Cook. Of course, he may choose to refine his
definition of an acceptable distro.

I actually read "... without having to recompile things ..." as "... without having to compile packages from source myself without the aid of the package system ...", in which case Gentoo meets his needs.

-Josh