Re: [tlug] FC5 Sucks: firewire drive/videos

On 08/11/06, Darren Cook <darren@example.com> wrote:

Perhaps I have some preconceptions here that are wrong, but I thought
everything has to be recompiled on gentoo,

Yes, but not outside of the package system. i.e. if you did not watch the output of the emerge command, you could pretend that the packages are binary.

I thought you wanted to avoid the download untar configure make make
install dance.

and debian doesn't include anything proprietary?

Maybe it doesn't out of the box, but it should be as simple as a few apt-gets involving mplayer and friends, I would think.

I see distrowatch lists poor multimedia support as a con for Fedora, so
maybe whatever I switch to will be better.

It would be hard to switch to a distro worse than Fedora.

-Josh