[tlug] Japanese in java in browser

I can see Japanese fine in java applications (e.g. jedit). But when I
try to view a java applet in a website, using firefox, I see squares.
Firefox java configuration seems to be limited to a single checkbox
"Enable java".

The best I managed to find so far is:
 http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/intl/fontconfig.html

My JAVA_HOME environmental var is "/opt/jre1.5.0_05/", and the files in
lib seem to already be configured for Japanese.

But my plugin is a short cut to
/usr/lib/jvm/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so. And under
/usr/lib/jvm/jre/lib I had another set of font configuration files. But
diff said they were mostly identical, and just to be sure I replaced
them with a symlink to /opt/jre1.5.0_05/lib/, and it made no difference.

Has anyone had similar problems? Any suggestions as to which tree I
should be barking up?

Darren

P.S. Fedora core 5, and java set up following instructions at:
 http://www.fedorafaq.org/#java