Re: [tlug] Making sure people get the message

Jim, Josh,

Thank you for responding with your helpful advice.

Based on what you've said, and looking on the net, it seems I need to simply make a change or two to my php.ini file to get my mails to be sent via SMTP.

Looking at phpinfo, it says this about my PHP/SMTP settings:

sendmail_from no value no value
sendmail_path /usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i /usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i
SMTP localhost localhost

I take this to mean that I don't have a default "from" address, but that it knows where my SMTP server is.

However, the last variable, where it's set to "localhost", is not so clear to me. Does this mean PHP is using the SMTP server on localhost? Does this need to be changed in order for PHP to actually send via SMTP since it doesn't seem to be doing so now?

Beyond that, I have some follow up questions:

My virtual hosting service is the kind where I have two IP addresses, and I can add as many domain names as I want to my account. Does that mean that if I set a default email address in "sendmail_from" that it will apply to all my domains? Is there a way to localize the setting on a domain by domain basis? Or is this a question I need to take to my hosting service provider?

And last... setting these variables is just a matter of editing the php.ini file and then restarting Apache... am I right about that?

By the way, I looked at phpMailer, but I have to admit, it's the kind of helpful plug-in that turns me off in that it requires enough configuration and set up of it's own to compete with learning the basics of PHP well enough to accomplish the same task. But thanks for suggesting it, as it will be a possible choice if later I do more complicated actions with email.

--
Dave M G
Ubuntu 6.06 LTS