Re: [tlug] Making sure people get the message

TLUG,

I've installed Spamassassin and have been using it to check for problems with my emails. That, plus a little help from the PHP general mailing list, and I've managed to alter it so that mails I send via PHP are less "spammy".

However, just for interest's sake, I tried testing various emails I both give and receive to see how they rated. Almost all emails came up with at least some measure of spamminess. Emails from hotmail got at least 1 point on Spamassassins's scale (where a score of 5 means it's definitely spam). Other emails scored at least 0.2.

What struck me as odd, though is that one of the emails that did not come up with any score indicating spamminess was an email I send using Majordomo. It got a spam score of 0.

This is odd to me because emails through majordomo seem to be the ones that have the most trouble getting through to users. I know that emails from my majordomo lists are almost always blocked by Hotmail, and recently by Yahoo accounts and by mac.com.

Is the problem with mailing lists in general having a bad rep? Is it majordomo in particular? Is there anything that can be done about it? Or is it just over-enthusiastic anti-spam measures on the part of various ISPs?

--
Dave M G
Ubuntu 6.06 LTS