[tlug] system clock jump

I have just one more buggy thing happening on my Etch setup on my new Dimension--and then I should be able to leave everyone alone for a while (!)

When I start Etch, the system clock keeps jumping 13 hours ahead. It doesn't happen in Knoppix or Windows, and the hardware clock seems unaffected. I am suspecting that this has something to do with some noticeably jumpy behavior during bootup that may well be connected with my other problem of not recognizing the root file system, because during bootup, I keep seeing messages to the effect that bootup is trying to set the system clock, but failing.

I confirmed that the time zone setting is correct. I also tried to fix it using rdate and ntpd, but they can't seem to reset the clock (I can reset it manually).

When I try to run hwclock, I get this:

   dim5150c:/home/chuck# /sbin/hwclock -s
   select() to /dev/rtc to wait for clock tick timed out

...with no effect.

This might well be some bug in the present Etch installation that I'll just have to wait out, but I'd be delighted to attempt any suggested solutions.

Chuck

Charles Muller

Toyo Gakuen University
Faculty of Humanities