Re: [tlug] navigating the LAN

On 03/10/06, Charles Muller <acmuller@example.com> wrote:

I spend some time this afternoon going through the tabs on KDE's Control
Center >> Internet and Network, such as "Local Network Browser",
"Service Discovery," etc., but didn't see anything.

I don't have access to a KDE system, but in gnome I can just double click
on the computer icon on the desktop, click on network and all the windows
machines appear in that list.

Alternatively in the file browser (nautilus) you can do:

file->open location->smb://myserver/myshare

for example, it pops up a username/password box and you are
in. There is also:

file->connect to server->service type:windows share

which does the same thing.

I would imagine KDE has equivalents for all these and if you're lucky
it may just work (tm)

I would start by putting smb://myserver into the location bar of the
file browser and see what happens. Not sure if you need the samba client
tools and you may need firewall twiddling if relevant.

Neil.