Re: [tlug] system clock jump

Charles Muller <acmuller@example.com>, 2006-10-03 20:41 +0900:

> When I start Etch, the system clock keeps jumping 13 hours ahead. It
> doesn't happen in Knoppix or Windows, and the hardware clock seems
> unaffected.

FWIW, I'm running Debian unstable on a Thinkpad T60 and have the
same problem.

> I am suspecting that this has something to do with some
> noticeably jumpy behavior during bootup that may well be connected with
> my other problem of not recognizing the root file system, because during
> bootup, I keep seeing messages to the effect that bootup is trying to
> set the system clock, but failing.

Yep, I get those same messages.

> I confirmed that the time zone setting is correct. I also tried to fix
> it using rdate and ntpd, but they can't seem to reset the clock (I can
> reset it manually).

I have worked around it by having ntpdate run after bootup. I'm
lazy and that was easier than trying to do the right thing
(finding and fixing the real cause of problem...).

> When I try to run hwclock, I get this:
>
>     dim5150c:/home/chuck# /sbin/hwclock -s
>     select() to /dev/rtc to wait for clock tick timed out
>
> ...with no effect.

Same here.

> This might well be some bug in the present Etch installation that I'll
> just have to wait out

Well, I've had the same problem since first installed Debian on
this machine (5 or 6 months ago, I guess). And Etch is supposed to
be approaching stability, so if the cause of this is in Etch and
it hasn't been noticed and fixed by now, I think you may find
yourself waiting a long time (unless you do what I haven't done,
and report it to Debian as a bug).

> but I'd be delighted to attempt any suggested solutions.

Only thing I can suggest it setting up your environment so that
ntpdate runs after the boot sequence is done (which is just a
workaround, not a solution).

  --Mike

--
Michael(tm) Smith