Re: [tlug] New Desktop Computer

Jason Hall wrote:
> My other questions again:
> Which current motherboard/CPU combinations are good for linux?
>
> I've read of some issues with linux & SATA? Is it an overall issue
> or specific cases with certain motherboards? Do I go with SATA or not?

SATA is supported in the 2.6 kernels through libata[1].  The libata
maintainer Jeff Garzik has a nice web page with the current status of
the in kernel drivers.  There are also a number of binary only drivers
that support some features not already in kernel drivers but these have
all the problems associated with binary only drivers.  RHEL 4 and
probably previous versions support SATA so I would imagine it isn't an
issue with CentOS

1. http://linux-ata.org/