Re: [tlug] outsourcing email service

GMO Unix Erin D. Hughes wrote:
What is your current situation? Are you trying to move away from a old
server or service or looking to start from scratch?

Under 400 users. Educational institution. It is time to replace the old mail server, and I am thinking about using that money to just outsource it to folks who can keep the spammers and viruses at bay.

I also sent an inquiry to Zimbra.

I use Zimbra on a server of my own it is quite a nice package and provides users
with something they want to use as opposed to have to use. Every thing is built from open source tools IE: POSTFIX and MySQL etc.... and its setup is easy as running a RPM
transaction and and answering a few questions along the way.

That is really good to know. Thank you. Ease of setup is nice to have.

I have a article for my website in the works about it ... and will let
you know when it is finished. BUT right now there is not a Japanese
translation.....I hear one is coming soon.

I looked up gmo.jp, but it does not look like your website, so can I have a URL, please?

That said, my opinion is if you can do it, and can get a budget worthy
of it, do mail your self.

Yes, ability is there. I don't know everything, but I can learn what I need to know. However, I don't have the budget to really secure the server. Open source is fine, but you have to have the hardware to push it, and if it is really open source, DIY stuff, you have to have the time to maintain and tune it. My responsibilities seem to grow daily, so I am looking to simply my duties.

Thank you for that perspective. I really appreciate it.

Micheal