Re: [tlug] outsourcing email service

On 14/09/06, Micheal E. Cooper <mcooper@example.com> wrote:

What do you think about the wisdom of outsourcing email to an off-site
service?

Is anyone doing this?

If you think it is a good idea, do you have any recommendations, even if
it is your own company?

People have provided good answers in terms of functionality and
offloading tedious work, but allow me to raise a big red flag:

SECURITY

I personally would not want my company's proprietary internal mail on
servers outside of my network. I know that the vast majority of mail
that traverses the Internet does so in plaintext, and that secrets can
flow in plaintext email between vendors and employees, but here at
Amazon, about 99.999% of my email is completely internal--it has never
left the Amazon network, and is ferried from mailserver to mailserver
over SSL/TLS.

So I  would not do it.

-Josh