Re: [tlug] nfs through a firewall

Hi,

On 9/5/06, Neil Millar <nmillar@example.com> wrote:
On 04/09/06, Hector Akamine <akamine@example.com> wrote:

> Which ones should I open in the firewall in order for other hosts to
> reach the nfs server?
> 2) It seems that the ports used by nfs are dynamic (change every time
> nfs is restarted). Is there any way to make it use the same ports
> every time?

This looks a plausible starting point:

http://www.lowth.com/LinWiz/nfs_help.html

111 and 2049 are fixed, the rest change so you need to stick them
to a port. The mountd info in that document is how we have it set
up on SUSE, I can't remember about the rest.

Neil, thanks for the information. Now I realize that in order to fix
the port numbers, will need to tweak different files ( and even to
pass kernel options!).
For this case, would it be better to dispose the iptables firewall,
and use tcp wrappers (hosts.allow, hosts.deny) instead?

Hector