[tlug] xbuntu on Toshiba Libretto L1 video resolution X11 (among other) problems

Hey Everyone,

I inherited a Libretto L1 from a friend and have been trying to get it
running with Xbuntu. I looked over the past couple of posts about X11
and they really didn't seem to apply to my situation.

The laptop has no network connection and in order to boot it from a CD
it requires a particular brand/model and only the L5s will boot from a
USB. I was stuck so I pulled out the HD put a converter on it and loaded
the os on another PC. No problems there and when I plugged the HD into
the Libretto there were various problems.

I sorted most of them out very easily except the networking and the
video resolution. The networking relies on a USB dongle I have and I
think I can work that out.... but at the minute I am working on the
screen resolution ....
 Resolution has been a real hasel cuase it is something I usually do not
mess with when setting up servers..... initially I did
# X -configure
and got the x server working.
but my resolution was about 320X200 or something silly like that. I
found this link http://www.big.or.jp/~sho/linux/XF86Config-4 and was
able to get the basic info there on the hardware.

I then ran
# dpkg-reconfigure xserver-org
That walked me through the setup in the TUI and I entered the driver and
video card info most of which was auto detected. Finally it came time to
choose my resolution but the resolution I needed was not in there. I
selected something close, I needed 1280X600 there was 1280X756.
I thought that in the end I could go into my xorg.conf and change them
to the correct resolution.

Wrong

My subsections for display all say 1280X600
I tailed the Xorg log and after 2000 wacom errors (I need to remove that
stuff from the conf) I see that the log says it finds the video card,
loads the drivers and sets the virtual screen size to 800X600. I
remembered seeing these lines:
EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth     16
		Modes	  "1280x600"
		ViewPort  0 0
#		Virtual   1280 600

 in the on-line conf from the link above so I tried that gave me a funny
800X600 box that was scrollable left and right....
Cause the actual setting is 800x600 ....

I am unsure where to go from here besides more googleing if any one can
offer me some suggestions they would be appreciated....

Regards,

Erin