[tlug] I hate encodings!

I am being driven crazy these days trying to work with the various encodings I have to use in my daily life (with php and mysql on Linux). The function descriptions all look simple enough, but nothing ever seems to output correctly for me :-(

Since I've never really had any training in this area, I'm looking for some decent tutorials on the subject. Specifically, using php with a mysql database on linux, with Western (including Spanish) , Japanese, Cyrillic sets and utf-8. I've worked as a programmer for about 10 years, but am new to web development, so mid-level material would be great. Something with lots of examples about learning about the environment you're working with (often we pull data from other websites) and converting is what i'm most interested in.

Hope that question made sense - you can probably detect my confusion already!

Thanks,
Jeff