Re: [tlug] Fedora is a toy OS .. (was Re: New Custom Server for Linux...)

On Mon, 2006-08-21 at 18:59 +0900, Josh Glover wrote:

> > Ya but not entirely.... everyones entitled to their opinion.
>
> I meant that in the sense of, "Jim is a bit of a Bastard Operator From
> Hell, so to him, if an OS is not enterprise-ready, it is garbage." But
> I hoped that people would see that my tongue was firmly in cheek.
Yep I got ya Josh and I agree 100% ... but his particular BOFH attitude shed some light on something that I
 was not aware of.... mostly the virtues of CENT.  (He has schooled me on a few other things too.... offline thankfully)
> Still, Jim's point is a good one: do not rely on Fedora for serious
> applications, unless you plan to replace it with a new version every
> six months.
The production cycle for Fedora is a bit longer than that, but I agree now. I am looking at at least 2 to 3 years of
support where before I was only looking at 1 year with fedora... not all
the newest coolest stuff but who needs that in a mailserver???

If were to spend 50 mann on a server .... heck I would want to do it
once .... the right way .... so I would probably not do it with
Fedora... 50 mann is allot, a real lot, sure he wants to do that?
Computers are the only thing I can think of that loose there value
faster than a sport bike (racing styled motorcycle).

I am a big fan of the price point the best processor costs 3 mann but
the second best is only 200 mhz slower and is almost a 1 mann lower in
price I take the cheaper one every time.

What about everyone else?

E./