Re: [tlug] New Custom Server for Linux - Advice Needed

On 20/08/06, Joe Larabell <fred62@???> wrote:

I have never seen any means of voting
for stability, other than among the developers themselves. Is there some
place I can comment when something works so the powers-that-be know there
is one more satisfied user.

This is actually a problem for developers, as well. We have to submit
a bug to the architecture team to get an ebuild keyworded stable on
their arch. And sometimes the arch teams, who tend to be pretty busy,
take a while to get to those sorts of bugs.

However, in theory, this is OK, because the idea is that if an ebuild
is marked as stable, you really should not expect any problems
(because it has to pass muster with users, the developer or herd that
maintains it, and finally, the arch team). In practise, I have seen
devs 勝手に mark a package as stable without following the guidelines,
just because it emerged for them. Ugh.

The best thing that you can do is email (or chat at in IRC) the
developer that maintains the ebuild that you want to see stable. To
find out who owns an ebuild in Gentoo:

grep 'email\|herd' /usr/portage/<ebuild-name>/metadata.xml

e.g.

: jmglov@example.com; grep 'email\|herd' /usr/portage/dev-util/redet/metadata.xml
/usr/portage/dev-util/redet/metadata.xml:    <email>jmglov@example.com</email>

: jmglov@example.com; grep 'email\|herd' /usr/portage/app-emacs/planner/metadata.xml
/usr/portage/app-emacs/planner/metadata.xml:<herd>emacs</herd>

In the former example, you can see that a developer named jmglov owns
the dev-util/redet ebuild. In the latter, it appears that the emacs
herd owns the app-emacs/planner ebuild.

-Josh