Re: [tlug] SuSE 10.1 upgrade problem

I was not successful with the archive there, but maybe I was too stupid.
Be this as it may, friends told me there was a change from X11 to xorg
(or something) and that there are some incompatibilities.

They recommended to throw out X11 and reinstall but I found this
suggestion not so easy with all the dependencies. Also I could not use
the graphical package manager since the 1 GB discspace I had left had
dissapeared somehow completely.

I thought maybe a jump form 9.0 to 10.1 is a bit far, although a Czech
SuSE programmer said that it would probably work. I decided to do a
fresh install, since other things are also not working like expected and
hunting down all the incompatibilities is a bit time consuming. And I
have to make some room on the harddisc anyway.

When I did a backup I found a 1 GB .xsession-errors file, which seems to
consist mainly of lines with the same text "Warning: Select failed:
error code 9". I did not know that such an animal exists ...

Anyway, from now on no _upgrade_ problem anymore, and with the new
problems I will probably find information in the source above.

Uli