Re: [tlug] "Standards" Setting in Japan

    Jim> OK. So how do you see the following going down:

    Jim>    Japanese Cos. Plan Web TV Joint Standard
    Jim>    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/fn/4090787.html

Well, this is different from the situation with process control, it's
more like iMode --- the critical thing is getting the content vendors
signed up.  Vendors because I just don't think that there's all that
much free video of interest to couch potatoes, and even with modern
bandwidth, you'll need to have a sophisticated set up to serve very
many clients.  But I wonder what they have in mind here.

As far as cooperating, this is much easier than with process control,
because there's nothing for anybody unless everybody agrees.  The
process control systems they needed to do anyway; it would be icing on
the cake to walk off with the proprietary standard that everybody else
pays to use, but not critical to project success.  Also, it looks like
even if there's a standard on the client side, there's plenty of room
for better menus etc., competing on the portal side.