Re: [tlug] sending mails to the localhost

Josh, Scott, Botond

Thanks for the help. I wrote some other questions below

> > I have seen some examples of scripts triggered by processes running
> > locally that use the command "mail" to notify the admin/root in case
> > something is going wrong. My question: do I need a full-fledged mail
> > server running in the host to have these messages sent?
>
> No, you do not need an actual MTA. What you can use instead depends on
> the distro; Gentoo uses a package called ssmtp:

By default debian uses exim. When you configure the system during
installation, there is a pretty simple menu where you can select exim to
be used only for local delivery.

I'm using fedora, which comes with sendmail installed (and running!)
by default. But after reading so many warnings about it, I avoid
touching it, like as it were a bowl of "natto" beans :-)
Fedora does not seem to have a ssmtp package available, so I will try
with exim. I have two questions:
1) Is there a good tutorial for "dummies" to configure exim? I have
found some googling, but seem to require more knowledge than what I
have now.
2) Is the default configuration file (/etc/exim/exim.conf) good for
local mail delivery and safe enough to be used without modifications?
I'm not sure about which are the lines I should take care of. My guess
is that the following are the relevant ones:

domainlist local_domains = @
domainlist relay_to_domains =
hostlist   relay_from_hosts = 127.0.0.1

Thanks