Re: [tlug] FireFox Update (1.5.0.5)

    Josh> CERT advisories always look like this, AFAIK.

Indeed they do.

    Josh> I doubt there is anything sinister going on here, but it is
    Josh> funny that someone else (Shannon?) mentioned yesterday at
    Josh> the meeting that the media have been beating up on Firefox /
    Josh> Mozilla / Thunderbird recently, and he suspects Microsoft
    Josh> influence.

On what?  The Mozilla family GUI?  Sad, isn't it. ;-)

Of course Microsoft has influence.  So what?  rms does too.  And I
really don't think these CERT analyses are "Halloween Papers" stuff.
All systems are buggy.

One thing that you should be aware of is that there are at least two
academic teams out there developing software to do automated analysis
of the kinds of security holes mentioned in the report.  They're
sending preliminary reports to the various projects.  I know GNU Emacs
and Python both got them within the last 4 months or so, and I think
Mailman did too.  I wouldn't be surprised if this of rash security
fixes has more to do with intra-academy competition than it does with
intra-industry competition.