Re: [tlug] Portability of Misaligned Data Access . . . . . . .

    >> and even then there's no guarantee you'll get a packed
    >> structure, or even that sizeof(char) == 1.

    Joe> Hmmm... my Stroustrup is is pretty old but it does say
    Joe> (sec. 5.3.2) that:

    Joe>   "... a byte is undefined by the language except in terms of
    Joe> the value of sizeof: sizeof(char) is 1."

Oh, OK, that's true by definition in C.  However, it's quite possible
that sizeof(char) == sizeof(double) == 1 (eg, on an old Cray XMP), 1
char being 64 bits.  There may be a packed representation used by the
GPIB ....

The point being not to disagree with the above, but rather to agree
heartily with: