Re: [tlug] Hi from new server and a couple of questions

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 19:22:38 +0000
scott <scott@example.com> wrote:

> 1) system crashes every once in a while when running xmms or kaffeine.
> files freezing the system, so my guess is that it is because of an
> selinux permissions setting where the context doesn't allow the tmp file
> to be written properly or something. Are there any selinux gurus in the
> house and if so have you experienced this problem?
The goal of selinux is to restrict unauthorized access of applications to
certain resources. This isn't accomplished by locking up the whole
system so you'd better look for errors somewhere else.
The information you provided is close to useless, don't expect anybody to
be able to help you. System logs, strace, etc should help identifying the
problem.

> 2) I have two user accounts on this new server, I'd like to be able to
> check both of their mailboxes using evolution.
There are many ways of accessing a mailbox (imap, pop3, etc..). I guess
you want direct mailbox access.

> However every time I
> change the permissions of /var/spool/mail/scott_vandusen to scott, it
> works but then automatically the permissions get changed back (maybe
> sendmail is doing this?) and a BOGUS.scott_vandusen.foo file gets
> created.
You are trying to put a sechole into the system, that's why the MTA
corrects it. You have many choices though:
 * remove the scott_vandusen user and make it an alias to point to scott.
 * forward scott_vandusen's mail to scott.
 * same groups for both users with 0660, though this probably will
   not work because the mbox file usually has the MTA's group on it.
 * log in as scott_vandusen through imap/pop.
 * create a sudo script that will move mail from scott_vandusen to scott
   before scott's mail is retrieved (many MUAs have a feature to execute
   custom scripts before retrieval).
 * Change the uid/gid of scott_vandusen to scott's.

Probably the alias is the best solution unless there is a real
requirement for the two separate accounts.