Re: [tlug] compilation warnings for unsigned char

"Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@example.com> wrote;
>>     Jim> What a stupid mess. Why for Bog's sake does the signed-ness
>>     Jim> of char matter for things like strcat and strcpy anyway?
>>     Jim> Mutter, mutter.
>>
>> Because C doesn't have a concept of unordered bytes, only tiny ints,
>> for which comparisons matter in general, even if they don't for your
>> application.  You have to choose ....

Well, I have bitten the bullet and made them char with -funsigned-char
set. If other compilers don't like that - tough tittie.

>> It ought to be possible to just turn those warnings off; maybe you
>> should ask on the gcc list (or it might even be a FAQ).

Maybe. I'd rather get warnings when rules are being infringed, but be able
to add rules of my own, e.g. with -funsigned-char.

Cheers

Jim

--
Jim Breen                                http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/
Clayton School of Information Technology,               Tel: +61 3 9905 9554