Re: [tlug] Upgrading to PHP5 on Fedora

On Thu, 2006-06-22 at 11:34 +0900, Dave M G wrote:
> Stephen, Keith, Jim, Josh, Erin,
>
> (By the way, I'm using Putty to log in, but it's kind of limited in
> giving me the ability to do things like copy and paste from my terminal.
> Anyone have a better recommendation? I know I could probably telnet in
> from a simple command prompt, but I like to be able to save sessions and
> passwords and stuff.)

If I must use windows I use verterm http://www.routrek.co.jp/product/varaterm/
It is light years ahead of putty BUT needs a bunch of .net libs to install.
When you launch it the first time it is in Japanese but there is a option and
you can switch it too English in the tools menu.

In a pinch though putty will do the trick .... heck it fits on a
floppy... did I just say that?
> I'm going to have to simply disagree with the statement made up-thread
> that any web hosting service that uses Fedora 1 is "unprofessional".
> I've been with this hosting service for a couple of years now, and
> compared to the many, many web hosting services I've had over the last
> decade or so, they are the best in customer support and uptime. If
> anyone is interested, this is the hosting service:
Thanks I will just keep the window shut at my place and be fine with
that and keep an ear out for those dying fans.
> http://www.spry.com/
>
> Anyway, that's my long way of saying that I like these guys and I intend
> to stay with them, so I'm going to be interested in solutions that work
> with my current set up.

OK your choice .... not sure how much help you are gonna be able to get then.
Good Luck.

> That said, it seems from what I'm reading here that maybe part of what I
> need to do is upgrade to a later release of Fedora...?

I would not recommend a upgrade in your situation regardless of the final OS you choose.
I recommend that if uptime, professional OS, and thoughts for future
flexibility and development are on your mind .... migrate to a new
box.... with the OS you want......today. While the cost may be renting 2
servers for a month or 2 till you get all the kinks worked out.......
staying with the Frankensteins monster you have there will be more
hassle.

Correct me if I am wrong you are using a kernel which is unknown how or
what it was built from MySQL 5.0 that is not a from a rpm (the kernel
probably needed to be upped to support the db), who knows what other
custom hacks you in there.

Migrate would be my only option. Anyone else have a idea I may have
missed?

> But I know that Fedora is a bleeding edge sort of distribution, so I
> probably don't want to go to the absolute latest release. Version 4, maybe?

As far as your choice for a OS. Jim is for Cent I use Fedora cause it is
what I like... they are not the only 2. I tried a bunch but always seem
to come back to fedora. Thats just me I could be wrong.
If you do stick with Fedora go to 5 the typical life cycle is 1 year
then the next year 6 will be out. The yum repos will be open for another
year or so... you can get 2 good years out of it... if by then you are
not looking to upgrade hardware as well....you can ask your buddies at
the hosting place to slapp the discs in and do a upgrade.

> I'll talk to the customer support guys and see what's up. I have a
> feeling that I'm probably going to end up getting them to do my PHP
> upgrade anyway, so maybe I can look into a more general upgrade.

If these guys are as good as you say they would have recommended this a
while ago.

This all sounds a little harsher than I intended I am just trying to
point you in the right direction to save you a big headache later.

E./