Re: [tlug] Dmesg error output

Botond,

Thank you for your help.

Note that I don't have an ivtv setup, but this should work for all
modules in general. Here are the steps to follow:
# cd /usr/src
# apt-get install linux-source-2.6.16 ivtv-source
There is no ivtv-source package in the repositories. What I've been doing up until now and hoping will still apply using your directions is the ivtv source tar packages from the IVTV homepage. So, after untarring them and the linux source, I have in my /usr/src directory, among other things, is:
dave@example.com:/usr/src$ ls
ivtv-0.4.5
linux-source-2.6.15
# tar jxvf linux-source-2.6.16.tar.bz2
# tar jxvf ivtv-source.tar.bz2 # cd linux-source-2.6.16
# make gconfig
Hmmm... this kicked back an error:

dave@example.com:/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.15$ sudo make gconfig
 HOSTCC  scripts/basic/fixdep
 HOSTCC  scripts/basic/split-include
 HOSTCC  scripts/basic/docproc
*
* Unable to find the GTK+ installation. Please make sure that
* the GTK+ 2.0 development package is correctly installed...
* You need gtk+-2.0, glib-2.0 and libglade-2.0.
*
 HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/conf.o
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `scripts/kconfig/.tmp_gtkcheck', needed by `scripts/kconfig/gconf.o'. Stop.
make: *** [gconfig] Error 2

I searched for GTK packages with Synaptic, and it seems I have a bunch of them installed. There were no packages for glib, and I definitely have libglade-2.0.

As for the second "No rule" error, I have no idea how to approach that one.

configure the kernel
# make-kpkg kernel_image
# make-kpkg modules_image
Now you should have a kernel and an ivtv deb package.
Make sure to remove all the old drivers and kernels installed by hand in
your previous attempts (rm -rf /lib/modules/2.6.16-xxxxx)

I was able to blow away almost everything in /lib/modules with 2.6.15 in it's name, except one seemingly empty directory: rm: cannot remove directory `/lib/modules/2.6.15-25-686/volatile': Device or resource busy

Is that going to be a problem? Or is that good enough?

and then
install the packages with dpkg -i. Make sure the bootloader was
updated and reboot.
I clearly haven't got to this stage yet, but how do I make sure a bootloader is updated? Sorry for my cluelessness, but by bootloader, do you mean GRUB? Or something else?

--
Dave M G